From the UK Foreign and Commonwealth Office –
Latest update Summary & Health sections – for information and advice about the risks associated with Zika virus, visit the National Travel Health Network and Centre website.
from Travel Advice Summary, which can be found at: http://ift.tt/11ZKCmN
Zika virus in Montserrat
This country is considered to have a high risk of Zika virus transmission. Sporadic transmission has been reported. Pregnant women are advised to postpone non-essential travel until after pregnancy. Details of specific affected areas within this country are not available.
- All travellers should avoid mosquito bites particularly between dawn and dusk.
- There is no vaccination or medication to prevent ZIKV infection.
- It is recommended that pregnant women planning to travel to areas with active ZIKV transmission should postpone non-essential travel until after pregnancy.
- Women should avoid becoming pregnant while travelling in, and for 8 weeks after leaving an area with active ZIKV transmission.
- If a woman develops symptoms compatible with ZIKV infection, it is recommended she avoids becoming pregnant for a further 8 weeks following recovery.
- Pregnant women who visited this country while pregnant, or who become pregnant within 8 weeks of leaving this country, should contact their GP, obstetrician or midwife for further advice, even if they have not been unwell. Further information about when to perform fetal ultrasound scanning, and, if necessary, referral to the local fetal medicine service is available.
Preventing sexual transmission
- Almost all cases of ZIKV are acquired via mosquito bites. A small number of cases of sexual transmission of ZIKV have been reported, although reports are increasing, the risk of sexual transmission of ZIKV is thought to be low.
- See further information for women who are pregnant, at risk of getting pregnant, or planning pregnancy, and their male partners.
Please click here to read the rest of the health advice for Montserrat.
|Like what you read? Sign up here for our free Daily Updates. We also send out a Weekly K+R Update, bundling together all the K+R news of the week. (Same form – options at the end.)|
Other ways to stay up to date: