Last week, two French tourists and a British tourist died while diving on the Great Barrier Reef. The French tourists were in their 70s and are believed to have had pre-existing conditions when they died near Michaelmas Cay. The British diver was in his sixties and died in an incident a few days later, while diving on Agincourt reef.

Three other people died while snorkelling or diving in Australia, bringing the total to six since last Wednesday. The further three deaths occurred in New South Wales, Melbourne and Tasmania.

From the Telegraph

Two French tourists die after suffering heart attacks while snorkelling on Australia’s Great Barrier Reef

Two elderly French tourists died on Wednesday in a bizarre tragedy after they both suffered heart attacks while snorkelling at Australia’s Great Barrier Reef, the tour company said.

The man and woman, both in their 70s, were part a group of 21 French tourists on a trip to Michaelmas Cay, north of Cairns, Passions of Paradise tour group said.

Please click here to read more.

From Yahoo 7 News

Tragic coincidence: Tourism boss denies jellyfish killed two French tourists

A Cairns tourist operator has poured cold water on the theory that highly venomous jellyfish were responsible for the deaths of two French tourists at the Great Barrier Reef on Wednesday.

The pair’s death has been attributed to heart attacks with a tour operator saying both had declared pre-existing conditions and had swallowed a lot of seawater.

Please click here to read more.

From the BBC

Great Barrier Reef: British tourist dies while scuba diving

A British tourist has become the third person this week to die on Australia’s Great Barrier Reef.

The 60-year-old man was scuba diving at Agincourt Reef in Far North Queensland when he was seen to be in trouble, tour operator Quicksilver said.

Please click here to read more.

From the Guardian –

Great Barrier Reef: third fatality in a week as British tourist dies on dive

Col McKenzie, of the Association of Marine Park Tourism Operators, said the man was on his second certified dive of the day. He was spotted on the sea floor at a depth of 15m, with his regulator out of his mouth.

A nurse on board the tour vessel Silversonic tried in vain to revive the man with a defibrillator, a spokeswoman for Queensland ambulance service said.

Please click here to read more.

Like what you read? Sign up here for our free Daily Updates.

We also send out a Weekly K+R Update, bundling together all the kidnap, ransom and extortion news of the week in one easy to read newsletter. (Same form – options at the end.)

 Other ways to stay up to date:

Follow and subscribe!

Follow us on Twitter, LinkedIn, and Facebook. You can also subscribe to our free newsletters - the Daily Updates and the Weekly K+R Update.