Last week, five workers were kidnapped from Banro Mining Corp’s Namoya mine in the east of the Democratic Repulic of the Congo. The incident occurred sometime on Tuesday night or early Wednesday morning, and the five missing workers include three local nationals, a Tanzanian and a French national. The rebel group Rahiya Mutomboki has reportedly demanded a $1 million ransom, as well as some demands relating to the local economy (see below for more info), and has been in direct contact with the Canadian company.

From Sky News

Armed attackers kidnap five workers at Congolese gold mine

Gold dealer Banro Corporation said a French national, a Tanzanian and three Congolese were kidnapped in the attack at its mine in Namoya, eastern DRC.

Members of militia group Rahiya Mutomboki abducted the workers and left leaflets around the mine threatening other employees, regional official Balthazar Hemedi Kabemba said.

Please click here to read more.


From Voice of America

Mining Workers from France, Tanzania Kidnapped in Congo

The captors are in direct contact with the Canadian mining company, Kabemba said, and have asked for $1 million in ransom. They also are seeking a guarantee that the company will carry out basic contractual agreements to build infrastructure in the area, including schools, roads and a health center.

The rebel group has criticized the mining company for not giving access or jobs to young miners who had been working on the site before it took over.

Please click here to read more.

Like what you read? Sign up here for our free Daily Updates.

We also send out a Weekly K+R Update, bundling together all the kidnap, ransom and extortion news of the week in one easy to read newsletter. (Same form – options at the end.)

 Other ways to stay up to date:
          

Follow and subscribe!

Follow us on Twitter, LinkedIn, and Facebook. You can also subscribe to our free newsletters - the Daily Updates and the Weekly K+R Update.