On Sunday, gunmen launched an attack on a luxury tourist resort Le Campement Kangaba, near Bamako, leading to at least five deaths. The dead have been confirmed as two employees of the EU mission in Mali – a Portugese soldier and a Malian woman – plus a Malian soldier, a Chinese person and a Franco-Gabonese person. Four attackers were killed, four were arrested and there were reports that one escaped.

Following the outbreak of conflict in Northern Mali in 2012, Mali has been marked by frequent attacks and several high profile abductions, including of foreign nationals. France, the UN and the EU have all deployed peace keeping troops to the country.

From the BBC

Mali attack: Gunmen kill five at tourist resort

Five people were killed when gunmen stormed a tourist resort in Mali on Sunday, officials say.

The EU said a Portuguese soldier and a Malian woman who worked for the bloc’s mission in Mali were among the dead.

A Malian soldier and two other civilians, one Chinese and the other Gabonese, were also killed.

Please click here to read more.


From Reuters

Al Qaeda-linked group claims deadly attack at Mali resort

A new alliance of Islamist militant groups linked to al Qaeda on Monday claimed responsibility for an attack that killed at least five people at a Mali luxury resort popular with Western expatriates just outside the capital Bamako.

The assailants stormed the hotel on Sunday afternoon, opening fire on guests and battling with French and Malian special forces deployed to try to free those trapped inside.

Please click here to read more.


From the Independent

Mali attack: At least two killed at luxury holiday resort near Bamako but gunmen release hostages

Mahamadou Doumbia, a security guard, said a militant on a motorcycle entered the area around 3.40pm local time and cried “Allah Akbar” before jumping off and running toward the pool area. 

“Then a car with three jihadists entered the resort and they started to fire their weapons,” he added. “A French soldier who had come for the weekend but had his gun shot and wounded a jihadi.” 

Please click here to read more.


From Deutsche Welle

Death toll rises in Mali attack

Security forces backed by French and UN troops mobilized quickly when the attack was underway on Sunday, rescuing 36 residents including 13 French citizens. While there is no certainty yet about the number of assailants, Mali’s Security Minister Salif Traore said that at least five had been shot dead.

Please click here to read more.

 

Like what you read? Sign up here for our free Daily Updates.

We also send out a Weekly K+R Update, bundling together all the kidnap, ransom and extortion news of the week in one easy to read newsletter. (Same form – options at the end.)

 Other ways to stay up to date:
          

Follow and subscribe!

Follow us on Twitter, LinkedIn, and Facebook. You can also subscribe to our free newsletters - the Daily Updates and the Weekly K+R Update.