On Sunday night, a group of 36 elderly Dutch tourists who had just arrived in South Africa for a three week tour were robbed in Johannesburg.
A group of six men, one of whom was dressed as a police officer, forced their tour bus driver to leave the road and stop in a remote area as they drove from OR Tambo International Airport to Fourways. The driver and tour guide were tied up, while the tourists were threatened and their belonging stolen.
From the Times Live –
“Most of the passengers are 70-plus. People panicked and even got firearms aimed at them. In two cases‚ the trigger was pulled but the gun didn’t fire.”
According to the passenger‚ several of the tourists were punched.
“The suitcases were also taken out of the cargo area. They were busy for 20 minutes. People cried and are in shock. They took the keys from the bus and disappeared.”
Please click here to read more.
Two people were injured, and one of them was admitted to hospital. The group flew back to the Netherlands on Tuesday.
OR Tambo international airport has experienced recurring issues with crime, with ‘follow home’ burglaries featuring regularly. This latest incident was roundly condemned and an investigation is underway.
- BBC: Dutch tourists attacked in South Africa return home
- Times LIVE: Some of Dutch robbery victims had safety concerns before trip to SA
- Business Day: Despite 36 Dutch tourists being robbed, the tour company will still come to SA
- Eyewitness News: Mbalula: Dutch tourists ‘follow home’ robbery threatens tourism
- Eyewitness News: Top detective probes tourist ‘follow home’ airport robbery
- The Times: Dutch tourist bus robbed an hour after landing in South Africa
- The South African: Read: 36 Dutch tourists fall victim to massive armed robbery in Joburg
- Times LIVE: Dutch tourists attacked by bogus cops after landing at OR Tambo airport
- NL Times: Group of 38 Dutch tourists robbed in South Africa
- Reuters UK: Dutch tourist group cuts South Africa visit short after armed bus robbery
- Rand Daily Mail: Massive blow to tourism as 36 Dutch tourists robbed at gunpoint by ‘police’
- Eyewitness News: Mbalula: Don’t buy goods stolen from Dutch tourists
|Like what you read? Sign up here for our free Daily Updates.
We also send out a Weekly K+R Update, bundling together all the kidnap, ransom and extortion news of the week in one easy to read newsletter. (Same form – options at the end.)
Other ways to stay up to date: