American Caitlan Coleman and her husband, Canadian Joshua Boyle, and their three children have been rescued by Pakistani security forces, five years after they were abducted by the Haqqani network.
Coleman and Boyle were abducted in 2012, while on an ‘adventure trip‘ through Afghanistan. Coleman was pregnant at the time of their abduction and has since given birth to three children.
In a video released last August, Coleman and Boyle explain that their captors are concerned about being killed by Afghan and American forces, and are seeking to leverage the lives of their hostages in order to secure their own safety.
How a Canadian-American family was rescued from militants in Pakistan https://t.co/2blUup1jOz
— The New York Times (@nytimes) October 13, 2017
Some of the headlines:
- New York Times: Gunshots, a Cry of ‘Kill the Hostages,’ Then Freedom for Canadian-American Family
- The Guardian: Canadian American family rescued after five years as captives in Afghanistan
- CBC.ca: Canadian man and family held captive for years in Afghanistan reportedly en route to London
- The Express Tribune: Pakistan Army rescues Canadian-American family held hostage by Taliban
- Yahoo News UK: N. American family kidnapped by Afghan Taliban freed: Pakistan army
- Yahoo News Canada: Canadian-US family held captive in Pakistan have left the country
- The Denver Channel: Father of freed Taliban hostage: ‘He wants to be home’
- Times of India: Pakistan starts to cave in to US pressure, ready to throw Haqqanis under the bus
- The Indian Express: White House hoping for uptick in US-Pakistan ties after rescue of US-Canadian family
- Toronto Star: What we know about the rescue of Canadian Joshua Boyle, his wife and their three children in Pakistan
- Newsweek: Who Is Caitlin Coleman? Taliban Group Releases American Woman and Family Kidnapped in Afghanistan Five Years Ago
- Deutsche Welle: US-Canadian couple released from Taliban’s Haqqani network
Breaking News: A family captured by the Taliban while backpacking in Afghanistan has been freed after 5 years https://t.co/PNItPbwfdw
— The New York Times (@nytimes) October 12, 2017
— USA TODAY (@USATODAY) October 12, 2017
Pres. Trump says U.S. gov’t worked with Pakistani gov’t to secure release of American and her family held hostage by Taliban in Afghanistan. pic.twitter.com/fZba38RWwP
— ABC News (@ABC) October 12, 2017
A Canadian man and American woman have been rescued along with their three children who were born in captivity https://t.co/cFRBx88FjI
— VICE News (@vicenews) October 12, 2017
|Like what you read? Sign up here for our free Daily Updates.
We also send out a Weekly K+R Update, bundling together all the kidnap, ransom and extortion news of the week in one easy to read newsletter. (Same form – options at the end.)
Other ways to stay up to date: