From the UK Foreign and Commonwealth Office


According to Iraqi law you must get a visa before you travel, even if you’re intending to travel to the Kurdistan Region of Iraq. You can apply for a visa at the Iraqi Embassy in London or the Iraqi Consulate in Manchester.

On 29 September 2017 the Federal Government of Iraq suspended international flights to and from Erbil and Sulaymaniyah airports in the Kurdistan Region of Iraq. If you’re currently in the region and wish to leave the country, you’ll need to transit through Baghdad International Airport. The Iraqi Interior Minister told reporters on 3 October that all foreign nationals who are in the Kurdistan Region of Iraq without an Iraqi visa, but with a valid Kurdistan Region of Iraq visa or residency permit, will be permitted to leave the country via Baghdad International Airport. The Government of Iraq has yet to publish formal guidance. However, the UK government’s understanding is that you’re likely to be able to leave the country without incurring a fine if you haven’t overstayed your Kurdistan Region of Iraq entry stamp or residency permit. If you’ve overstayed, you’re likely to incur a fine of approximately 500,000 Iraqi dinars

from Travel Advice Summary, which can be found at:

Like what you read? Sign up here for our free Daily Updates. We also send out a Weekly K+R Update, bundling together all the K+R news of the week. (Same form – options at the end.)
 Other ways to stay up to date:

Follow and subscribe!

Follow us on Twitter, LinkedIn, and Facebook. You can also subscribe to our free newsletters - the Daily Updates and the Weekly K+R Update.