On Saturday morning, two Danish journalists working for National Geographic were stabbed in a market in Libreville, Gabon.
Their attacker is a Nigerien national who has lived in Gabon for 19 years. He reportedly shouted ‘Allah Akbar’ as he attacked them. He was promptly arrested, and when questioned by police said that the attack was revenge for President Trump’s recognition of Jerusalem as the capital of Israel. The AFP reports multiple other people were arrested and questioned in relation to the attack.
The journalists were taken to hospital, where one of them is believed to be in a serious condition.
National Geographic has said it is ‘withholding the names of the journalists out of concern for their safety‘ and added –
“We are deeply saddened to confirm the reports that the two Danish nationals horrifically attacked in Gabon are members of the National Geographic family,” National Geographic said in a statement. “We are in direct contact with the victims and the Danish production company with whom they were on assignment, and our main objective is to support their recovery and safe return to Denmark.”
- Protests over President Trump’s Jerusalem decision continue around the world. Please keep an eye on embassy channels and the Overseas Security Advisory Council twitter feed, as well as local media. These protests are not limited to ‘Muslim’ countries – many have happened across Europe, North America and South America as well.
- Know where your people are and make sure you have reviewed your plans in case things go awry. Communicate your plans with your people – check in with them and let them know what they should do and what you will do if something happens.
- Consider your personal safety. If you are travelling by yourself, please consider your personal safety. If you are American or could be mistaken for an American, please take appropriate steps to limit your risk exposure. If you are unsure what to do, get some advice from a reputable individual or organisation (we follow lots of them on Twitter).
- National Geographic: Two Journalists With National Geographic Ties Stabbed in Gabon
- The Citizen: Gabon arrests dozens in knife attack that wounded two Danes
- Voice of America: 2 Danish Journalists Violently Attacked in Gabon
- The Telegraph: Two men injured in Gabon knife attack in revenge for ‘US attacks against Muslims’
- Associated Press: 2 Danish journalists violently attacked in Gabon
- Reuters: Two Danish journalists wounded in Islamist knife attack in Gabon
|Like what you read? Sign up here for our free Daily Updates.
We also send out a Weekly K+R Update, bundling together all the kidnap, ransom and extortion news of the week in one easy to read newsletter. (Same form – options at the end.)
Other ways to stay up to date: