On the 21st February, an explosion on a ferry in Playa del Carmen injured 25 people, including 20 Mexicans, three Canadians and two Americans. Initial reports suggested a mechanical failure was responsible, but the statement from the US Embassy in Mexico states it was caused by an explosive device.
An alert was issued two days later, when a ‘suspicious bag was left inside one of the “Ultramar” ferries that connects Playa with Cozumel‘. Security forces arrived to contain and address the situation, and it proved to be a false alert.
The ferries from the explosion on the 21st of February and the near miss on the 1st of March are both operated by Barcos Caribe, which is owned by ‘the father of former Quintana Roo state Governor Roberto Borge, who is facing corruption charges.‘ The former Governor was extradited from Panama in January to face those charges. It is unclear if this has any link to the incidents.
From the US Embassy in Mexico –
Location: Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Event: On March 1, undetonated explosive devices were found by Mexican law enforcement on a tourist ferry that operates between Cozumel-Playa del Carmen, Mexico. On February 21, an explosive device detonated on a tourist ferry in Playa del Carmen resulting in injuries, including to U.S. citizens. U.S. Government employees are prohibited from using all tourist ferries on this route until further notice. Mexican and U.S. law enforcement continue to investigate.
Actions to Take:
- Be aware of your surroundings and exercise caution.
- Purchase travel insurance that specifically covers you in Mexico and includes medical evacuation insurance.
- Contact the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate if you need assistance.
Please click here for further information, including contact details for the embassy.
You may be interested in some of our other recent posts about Mexico:
- Expert Advice: Is It Safe To Go To Mexico?
- Feature: HX-Harary Security – Mexico Security Summary For January 2018
- Quick Read: Mexico’s Ascendant Jalisco Cartel May Be Copying The Brutal Tactics Of The Once-Dominant Zetas
- Quick Read: 4 Mexican Police Officers Arrested In Case Of 3 Missing Italians In Mexico
- Mexico: Search Underway For Three Italians On Business Trip To Jalisco Missing After Police Detained Them Last Month
- Quick Read: Indigenous Mexican Presidential Candidate Injured In Highway Accident
- Reuters: U.S. issues alert after tourist ferry explosion in Mexico
- Yucatan Times: Bomb threat was false alarm while investigations on Playa del Carmen’s ferry explosion continue
- Newsweek: Mexico Ferry Explosion: At Least 25 Injured As ‘Fireball’ Rips Through Ship
|Like what you read? Sign up here for our free Daily Updates.
We also send out a Weekly K+R Update, bundling together all the kidnap, ransom and extortion news of the week in one easy to read newsletter. (Same form – options at the end.)
Other ways to stay up to date: