On Thursday, three foreign workers were abducted as they travelled to work at Kabul International Airport with their local driver. The expats – an Indian, a Malaysian and a Macedonian citizen – worked for Sodexo, a French catering company that employs roughly 230 people in Afghanistan.
The Latin American Herald Tribune reports that the ‘abduction occurred around 8:30 am local time in Kabul’s District 9 near Sodexo logistics company where the victims worked.’ The men’s vehicle was stopped and a government official said ‘it appeared that the men had gotten into the second car voluntarily and were accompanied by their Afghan driver. The driver returned an hour later and said the three men had been kidnapped.’
Their bodies were found a few hours later, in the Mosahi area of the city. The men had been shot dead and their ID cards were left near their bodies.
The fact the group switched cars voluntarily suggests they were not alarmed and that someone they knew was involved in the abduction. The driver has been detained for questioning.
Other abduction cases
Kidnap for ransom and terrorist abductions remain common in Afghanistan. Here are some headlines from the last few months –
- Quick Read: At Least 15 Killed As Gunmen Attack Afghan Government Building In Jalalabad
- Quick Read: Taliban Take Afghan Security Forces Hostage In Maidan Wardak
- Quick Read: Taliban Kill 16 Afghan Soldiers, Kidnap Engineers After Ceasefire Ends
- Quick Read: ‘Dozens Of People Freed’ From Taliban Custody In Afghanistan
- Quick Read: Kidnapped U.N. Staff Member And Son Released In Afghanistan
- Quick Read: Militants Execute De-Miner Abducted From Tapi Site In Kandahar
- Quick Read: Kidnapped Sex Slaves Help Islamic State Gain Turf In Afghanistan
- Afghanistan: Gunmen Abducted Seven Indian Engineers And Their Driver Heading To Local Power Station In Baghlan
- Quick Read: Afghanistan- Kidnap Gang Busted In Kunduz
Two professors from the American University of Afghanistan were abducted from Kabul in August last year. They remain missing.
- New York Times: 3 Foreign Caterers Are Kidnapped and Killed in Afghanistan
- Reuters: Three foreigners abducted and killed in Afghan capital: police
- Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty: Three Foreign Workers Abducted, Killed In Kabul
- BBC News: Three foreigners kidnapped and killed in Kabul
- Voice of America: Foreigners Found Dead in Kabul
- Reuters: France’s Sodexo shocked after three workers killed in Kabul
- South China Morning Post: Malaysian among three foreigners abducted and killed in Afghanistan capital Kabul
|Like what you read? Sign up here for our free Daily Updates.
We also send out a Weekly K+R Update, bundling together all the kidnap, ransom and extortion news of the week in one easy to read newsletter. (Same form – options at the end.)
Other ways to stay up to date: