|Host:||Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene|
|Event Title:||Annual Meeting 2018|
|Theme/Focus:||The intersections of neglected tropical diseases (NTDs) with non-communicable diseases (NCDs) and the Sustainable Development Goals.|
|Location:||Royal College of Physicians, London, UK|
|Date:||Wednesday 19th – Thursday 20th September 2018|
The theme of RSTMH’s 2018 two-day Annual Meeting is intersections of neglected tropical diseases (NTDs) with non-communicable diseases (NCDs) and the Sustainable Development Goals.
We will bring together voices from different sectors, locations and disease areas to showcase the lesser-known problems caused by intersections, and their impact.
We aim to end the meeting with a clearer steer towards what RSTMH should be focusing on operationally and strategically in this space, as one of our priority areas.
Eight plenary talks will cover the most neglected tropical diseases.
Four panels will explore intersections including: mental health, disability, conflict zones and the built environment.
The meeting will also include the screening of a new snakebite film, turbo talks on exciting areas in this field, abstracts from early career researchers and views from patients.
Confirmed speakers and chairs so far include:
- Dr Adrian Hopkins, Consultant and Chair, Scientific Committee, ECTMIH 19
- Professor Ahmed Hassan Fahal, Mycetoma Research Centre in Sudan)
- Dr Bhargavi Rao, MSF
- Professor Betty Kirkwood, LSHTM
- Professor David Warrell, University of Oxford
- Freddie Bailey, University of Edinburgh
- Professor Gail Davey, Brighton & Sussex Medical School
- Jeremy Astill-Brown, Acacia Development Associates
- Raji Kant Singh, Lepra Society, India
- Mike Turner, Wellcome Trust
- Richard Allen, The MENTOR Initiative
- Sarah Ruel-Bergeron, ARCHIVE Global
- Professor Steve Lindsay, Durham University
- Professor Chris Whitty, LSHTM
The Manson Lecture will be delivered by Professor Sir Brian Greenwood. He will be introduced by Dr David Manson-Bahr, great-great-grandson of Sir Patrick Manson.
We will also be presenting the Chalmers Medal, the Sir Rickard Christophers Medal, the Donald Mackay Medal and the Emerging Leaders Award. There will also be a presentation for the recipient of the Robert Cochrane Fund for Leprosy.
During the meeting we will hold our AGM for members and host a Presidents’ Reception and Presidential address from our new President.
|Like what you read? Sign up here for our free Daily Updates.
We also send out a Weekly K+R Update, bundling together all the kidnap, ransom and extortion news of the week in one easy to read newsletter. (Sign up on the same form using the options at the end.)