The National Hurricane Center has issued an advisory for Tropical Cyclone Six, which is expected to reach the Cape Verde islands this evening.
A Tropical Storm Warning is in effect for the islands of Santiago, Fogo, and Brava, with the storm expected to hit in the next 12 hours. Heavy rain and flashflooding are likely.
If you are in the region –
- Monitor the local weather forecast. Use a couple of different apps and/or websites to get information from multiple sources.
- Avoid driving overnight, as the weather is expected to worsen.
- Monitor local media.
- Keep mobile devices charged.
- Put aside a storm kit to help you wait out the worst of the weather. Include food that will not spoil and bottled drinking water, candles and matches, a first aid kit, medication, torch, phone charge, batteries, cash.
- Comply with advice from the local authorities.
- Be prepared for delays and disruption.
- Check in with friends and family.
- If something bad happens, check in with your local embassy as soon as it is safe to do so.
If you are heading to the region soon –
- Check in with your airline and travel agent.
- Monitor media reports/resources listed below.
- Talk to your travel insurance provider to check what is/is not covered.
From the UK Foreign and Commonwealth Office –
Tropical Cyclone 6 is expected to bring heavy rains and strong wind to the southern islands of Cape Verde on Friday 31 August 2018. If you’re travelling to or out of Cape Verde, check with your tour operator or airline company for any delays or disruptions to your travel plans.
from Travel Advice Summary, which can be found at: https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/cape-verde
#CaboVerde Weather Alert: The National Hurricane Center has issued an advisory regarding a potential tropical clone expected to reach the southern Cabo Verde islands during the evening and night on August 31st. Potential for heavy rains and flash floods. https://t.co/WcM7t7MZHj pic.twitter.com/iLeG1YQLdU
— Travel – State Dept (@TravelGov) August 31, 2018
Potential Tropical Cyclone #Six is forecast to strengthen and become a tropical storm by this afternoon while it approaches the southern #CaboVerde Islands.
A #TropicalStormWarning is in effect for Cabo Verde Islands of Santiago, Fogo, and Brava pic.twitter.com/JXFPnxqkqa
— Erin Thomas (@ErinThomasWx) August 31, 2018
The last time the #CaboVerde islands had to deal with a tropical storm or hurricane was when Hurricane Fred plowed across the islands exactly three years ago today. https://t.co/y01YJoz0YB #PTC6 #Florence pic.twitter.com/J8eki1YsBa
— Brian McNoldy (@BMcNoldy) August 31, 2018
|Like what you read? Sign up here for our free Daily Updates. We also send out a Weekly K+R Update, bundling together all the kidnap, ransom and extortion news of the week in one easy to read newsletter. (Sign up on the same form using the options at the end.)|