On Saturday two demonstrations are planned for Kuala Lumpur – one in Dataran Merdaka, and the other in the Padang Timur area of Petaling Jaya.
Security measures, including checkpoints, might be in place. Avoid both areas where possible. You should be aware that terrorist attacks in Malaysia are very likely and terrorists could target large crowds.
If you are in the area, please consider the following –
- Avoid demonstrations and large crowds. Be aware violence could occur without warning.
- Review your travel risk management plan, so you know what to do in an emergency.
- Make sure you have the contact information of your travel insurance company and your local embassy stored in a secure offline location.
- Monitor local media. If you are using Twitter to search, add the term ‘filter:verified’ to the search bar to see results from verified accounts only.
- If possible, set aside some supplies of food and bottled water.
- Keep your devices charged.
- Check in with friends and family.
- If something does happen, contact the local embassy as soon as it is safe to do so.
#Malaysia: A large-scale public gathering is scheduled to take place on December 8, in the #DataranMerdaka area of #KualaLumpur. A separate public gathering should occur in the Padang Timur area of Petaling Jaya. https://t.co/NLPzpwZg7i
— travel.gc.ca (@TravelGoC) December 6, 2018
#Malaysia A public gathering is scheduled for Sat 8 Dec at the Dataran Merdaka area of Kuala Lumpur. There is a separate gathering planned at the same time at Padang Timur area of Petaling Jaya (a Kuala Lumpur suburb). Follow advice of local authorities. https://t.co/00okNuNd67 pic.twitter.com/myMaBftKVE
— FCO travel advice (@FCOtravel) December 6, 2018
|Like what you read? Sign up here for our free Daily Updates. We also send out a Weekly K+R Update, bundling together all the kidnap, ransom and extortion news of the week in one easy to read newsletter. (Sign up on the same form using the options at the end.)|
If you found this post valuable, please show your appreciation by buying us a coffee. Thank you. Buy me a coffee