Demonstrations are planned for Antananarivo this weekend as Madagascar prepares to vote in the presidential election run off on Wednesday 19th December. The security situation is tense, as the FCO and the US Embassy warn visitors to keep a low profile and to avoid crowds and rallies.
If you are in the area, please consider the following –
- Avoid demonstrations and large crowds. Be aware violence could occur without warning.
- Review your travel risk management plan, so you know what to do in an emergency.
- Make sure you have the contact information of your travel insurance company and your local embassy stored in a secure offline location.
- Monitor local media. If you are using Twitter to search, add the term ‘filter:verified’ to the search bar to see results from verified accounts only.
- If possible, set aside some supplies of food and bottled water.
- Keep your devices charged.
- Check in with friends and family.
- If something does happen, contact the local embassy as soon as it is safe to do so.
Embassy Twitter accounts
- Australian High Commissioner – @AusHC_MU
- British Embassy – @UKinMadagascar
- UK’s Ambassador to Madagascar – @PhilBoyleFCO.
- Canadian Embassy – @AmbaMad_Canada
- U.S. Embassy – @USMadagascar
Official travel advice
#Madagascar There is the potential for unrest in the run-up to the second round of presidential elections on 19 December, with protests taking place often without warning. You should avoid all protests and demonstrations. More info: https://t.co/UwgI6E1VnA pic.twitter.com/bZEBFUY1t7
— FCO travel advice (@FCOtravel) December 14, 2018
From the US Embassy in Antananarivo –
Location: The Coliseum (near Ivandry) and Mahamasina Stadium in Antananarivo.
Event: A large political demonstration will gather at the Coliseum, less than a mile from the Ivandry
neighborhood, and Mahamasina Stadium on Saturday, December 15, and Sunday, December 16,
beginning at 7:00 a.m. for a political event which may cause heavy vehicle and pedestrian traffic. U.S.
citizens are strongly advised to avoid this area.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the areas of the Coliseum in Antananarivo near the Ivandry neighborhood.
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Review your personal security plans.
- Keep a low profile.
Please click through here for the rest of the advisory, including contact information.
Headlines and coverage
|Like what you read? You can sign up here for our free Daily Updates. We also send out a Weekly K+R Update, bundling together all the kidnap, ransom and extortion news of the week in one easy to read newsletter. (Sign up on the same form using the options at the end.)|
If you found this post valuable, please show your appreciation by buying us a coffee. Thank you.