Anne-Elisabeth Falkevik Hagen, wife of Norwegian millionaire Tom Hagen, has been missing since the 31st of October. She was reportedly abducted from the bathroom of the couple’s house in Lørenskog, about 12 miles east of Oslo. Her husband returned home on Hallowe’en to find an empty house and a threatening ransom note.
In a press conference today, the police appealed to the public for information to help with the case.
The ransom note that was found at the scene contained threats that the police have said were ‘of a very serious character.’ Norwegian media outlets have said it demanded €9 million be paid in the cryptocurrency Monero.
The Telegraph reported that the note was ‘written in bad Norwegian‘, and threatened to kill Falkevik Hagen unless the ransom was paid. Other outlets have said Hagen was warned not to involve the police. Norwegian Justice Minister Tor Mikkel Wara was reportedly told of Falkevik Hagen’s ‘disappearance right after it happened.’
Hagen is a property investor and the majority owner of the electricity company Elkraft, and he has been listed in the press as the 172nd richest man in Norway.
Police press conference
Police Inspector Tommy Brøske told a press conference on Wednesday morning that “the reason for us to go public with this case now is that despite a broad and extensive investigation, we need more information.”
He said the police have been investigating for ten weeks and their “main theory is that the victim was kidnapped by unidentified perpetrators at her home.”
Brøske also said there has been limited online digital contact with someone who claims to be representing the kidnappers, but that they have not received proof of life at this stage.
Interpol and Europol are assisting with the case.
The Daily Mail says that ‘many Norwegian media outlets knew of Mrs Falkevik Hagen’s disappearance but did not publish any details after the police warned against publicising the kidnap over fears the attackers would harm the victim.’
- ABC News: Norwegian police: Missing wife of tycoon was abducted
- The Guardian: Norwegian millionaire’s wife likely to have been kidnapped, say police
- BBC News: Norway businessman’s wife kidnapped for ransom
- The Telegraph: Kidnappers demand €9m in cryptocurrency for Norwegian billionaire’s wife
- Reuters: Cryptocurrency ransom demanded for missing wife of Norwegian businessman
- Sky News: Kidnappers demand ransom for Norwegian billionaire’s wife
- Metro: Kidnappers holding wife of Norwegian billionaire for ‘£8,000,000 ransom’
- Daily Mail: Kidnappers demand £8 million ransom for wife of one of Norway’s richest men after she vanished on Hallo’ween
- CBC News: Cryptocurrency kidnappings on rise worldwide
|Like what you read? You can sign up here for our free Daily Updates. We also send out a Weekly K+R Update, bundling together all the kidnap, ransom and extortion news of the week in one easy to read newsletter. (Sign up on the same form using the options at the end.)|
If you found this post valuable, please show your appreciation by buying us a coffee. Thank you.