From the UK Foreign and Commonwealth Office –
Germany v. England football match (friendly): travel advice
Travel advice for fans travelling to Germany for the Germany v England match on Wednesday 22 March 2017.
- Date: 22 March 2017
- Venue: Signal Iduna Park Stadium – Dortmund
- Kick off time: 8.30pm local time
You should also read our travel advice for Germany
Passports and visas
- you don’t need a visa to travel to Germany, but your passport should be valid for the duration of your trip.
- remember your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) but also take out travel insurance, even if you’re only going for one night – it could save you a lot of money if you get into difficulties
- carry ID with you at all times
- if you lose your passport, you will need to get an Emergency Travel Document
Getting to the stadium
The address for the Signal Iduna Park stadium is Strobelallee 50, 44139 Dortmund
- you can get to the Dortmund Signal Iduna Park by a 5 minute train journey from Dortmund’s main railway station. The stadium is a short walk away. Trains typically run 3 to 4 times an hour.
- alternatively, you can take the U-Bahn from the centre and get off at station Westfalenhallen. From there it’s a 5 minute walk to the stadium. Lines 45 and 46 serve the station. On match days, there’s a special service that will continue to station Stadion which is even closer to the stadium.
- from Dortmund Airport you can get to the stadium by taking the shuttle bus to Holzwickede/Dortmund Airport train station, taking train RB59 towards Dortmund Central and getting out at Signal Iduna Park.
- by car, leave the A45 at the junction Dortmund Sud and turn onto the B45 into the direction of Dortmund. There are pay and display parking places around the stadium. It will be busy. Parking is also available at the Dortmund University of Technology where shuttle buses transport fans to the stadium.
At the match
- England supporters are seated in blocks 55, 56, 57, 58 and 59 in the North stand; entrance is via the turnstiles at the North East corner.
- turnstiles open 120-minutes prior to kick off (8:30pm local time). You should be inside the stadium no later than 30-minutes before kick-off.
- only valid ticketholders will be admitted to the ground. If you have damaged or forged tickets, or have lost or had tickets stolen, you’ll be turned away.
- access to the stadium can be slow. There will be ticket checks and body searches at the entrance to the turnstiles.
- in addition to items which would usually be prohibited in the UK, the following restrictions apply at the stadium: no bottles and cans are allowed to be brought into the ground and flags and banners with metal poles aren’t allowed.
- beware of pickpockets and bag snatchers at airports, railway stations, around the town centre and when using public transport. Only carry what you need and leave spare cash and valuables in hotel safety deposits
- Change money at a bank, hotel, or in exchange kiosks – not on the street (it’s illegal and holding counterfeit money is punished by a prison sentence in Germany).
Contact the British Consulate-General Düsseldorf
British Consulate-General Düsseldorf Oststraße 86 40210 Düsseldorf Germany
Telephone: + 49 (0) 211 94480
Consular opening hours: Monday to Friday: 9 to 12 pm (closed Wednesdays)
Please call in advance to arrange an appointment to get an Emergency Travel Document.
For more information please visit British Embassy Berlin website
Emergency services numbers
- You can contact the police on 110 and all other emergency services including ambulance and fire brigade on112
from Travel Advice Summary, which can be found at: http://ift.tt/19BNdbP
|Like what you read? Sign up here for our free Daily Updates. We also send out a Weekly K+R Update, bundling together all the K+R news of the week. (Same form – options at the end.)|
Other ways to stay up to date:
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)