From the US Embassy in Jakarta –
Police and media reports indicate a recent increase in criminal incidents in the Kemang and Jalan Sudirman areas of Jakarta. Violent assaults against or among patrons at bars and clubs along Jalan Kemang Raya have been reported, in some cases perpetrated by groups of males on motorcycles. Individual women walking alone have also reported instances of being groped by a male motorcycle driver. Parents are reminded to counsel children, especially teens, about the availability of alcohol and drugs in nightlife venues in Jakarta and remind them that drug offenses are treated severely under Indonesian criminal law.
Actions to Take:
- Practice good situational awareness, especially in crowded streets and shopping areas.
- Keep a low profile.
- Vary your routes and times so as not to be time or place predictable.
- Always carry a cell phone.
- Do not display signs of wealth, such as wearing expensive jewelry or watches.
- Be vigilant when visiting ATMs or banks.
- Stick to reputable taxi companies.
- Do not physically resist any robbery attempt.
Please click here for more, including contact information and further local news and alerts.
|Like what you read? Sign up here for our free Daily Updates. We also send out a Weekly K+R Update, bundling together all the kidnap, ransom and extortion news of the week in one easy to read newsletter. (Same form – options at the end.)|
Other ways to stay up to date: