On Wednesday Ukraine imposed martial law in border provinces. Authorities have since announced Russian men between the ages of 16 and 60 are banned from entering the country. Foreigners are now barred from travelling to Crimea –
#Ukraine On 28 November Ukraine announced that it will no longer permit foreigners to travel to Crimea. The FCO continues to advise against all travel to Crimea and is not able to provide consular services to anyone in Crimea. More info: https://t.co/xUmKIRO2TK pic.twitter.com/Z4BwB1GWg5
— FCO travel advice (@FCOtravel) November 29, 2018
This is reflected in the travel advice from various governments below.
If you are in Ukraine during the period of martial law, we recommend that you –
- Avoid demonstrations and large crowds. Be aware violence could occur without warning.
- Review your travel risk management plan, so you know what to do in an emergency.
- Make sure you have the contact information of your travel insurance company and your local embassy stored in a secure offline location.
- Monitor local media. If you are using Twitter to search, add the term ‘filter:verified’ to the search bar to see results from verified accounts only.
- If possible, set aside some supplies of food and bottled water.
- Keep your devices charged.
- Check in with friends and family.
- If something does happen, contact the local embassy as soon as it is safe to do so.
Official travel advice
A very brief overview of official travel advice for Ukraine. Click through on the links to read the advisories in full.
#Ukraine: a limited form of martial law is in effect Nov. 28 – Dec. 27, in the regions of #Chernihiv, #Sumy, #Kharkiv, #Donetsk, #Luhansk, #Zaporizhya, #Kherson, #Mykolaev, #Odesa and #Vynnitsya. https://t.co/zejrSpyV2e
— travel.gc.ca (@TravelGoC) November 28, 2018
|Like what you read? You can sign up here for our free Daily Updates. We also send out a Weekly K+R Update, bundling together all the kidnap, ransom and extortion news of the week in one easy to read newsletter. (Sign up on the same form using the options at the end.)|
If you found this post valuable, please show your appreciation by buying us a coffee. Thank you.